Thursday 18 November 2010

Banking is Silly



I feel horrible starting such a negative post right after Kathleen’s positive light, but this is another “adventure” that has come upon us… well me mostly, but it’s also affected the rest of the pilgrims.

In the beginning of October I started my attempt to open up a UK bank account at HSBC. I went in with all the proper documentation, and thought I had completed all that was necessary. I received an email a few hours later stating that I needed to refill out one of the pages because I put a different address. So I went back and put in the proper address the documentation showed, and they supposedly scanned in, and all should be good to go.

Next I was told that within 5 business days my debit card would come in the mail. Well, my wonderful landlady Emma (and I don’t mean this sarcastically because she truly is amazing, it is just in this one issue that I was annoyed) forgot my surname so she threw away my mail for a few days. So sadly she threw away my debit card. My pin number (that came separately) was safe. I then went to the bank to have them cancel the original card, and then have them send a new card directly to the branch.

When that came 5 working days later I went into the bank to have it activated and to figure out how to transfer money between my UK bank and my US bank. The first bank representative told me I could do all of those transactions online. So I went online and found that I didn't have all the information, so I had to go back and have them give me all of those codes. Finally I thought I had everything set up and could now continue my banking all on my own like an adult.

All was safe until a week ago. I was using my debit card to do a bit of grocery shopping when I was told my card was declined. I was internally freaking out because that has all of my financial aid, I had no idea why it would decline. I then went to the bank and found out my card had been cancelled because I didn't have proof of my address. They were trying to stop this action. Turns out it was too late and they needed to order me a new debit card that would come in 5 business days. I asked if I would need to get a new pin, since I was getting a new card. They assured me that all should be fine.

My card came and I went to activate my card, and then went to ask if there would be any more problems with my account. The bank employee told me that if I couldn't prove my UK address they would cancel my account on Friday.

So it turns out they never scanned a copy of my proof of address from the school. I went in today to have that scanned and can only pray that my account won't be cancelled. But then again maybe that would be better. Maybe NatWest would treat me better.

My parting words of wisdom are: if you ever come to need a UK bank account DO NOT go with HSBC. I will keep you updated to see if any further drama unfolds.

3 comments:

  1. or Santander they are really bad. In fairness though the H in HSBC does stand for Hong Kong and the S for Shanghai - so technically not a British bank. My favourite (not that I have a wealth of experience) has to be Nationwide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! I should have asked around before starting the hunt for a bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really sucks! Hope that is all sorted out soon for you, like now!

    ReplyDelete