Friday 5 November 2010

WARNING: Disturbing Images to Follow

Nobody told me about the spiders.

Having left behind Rexburg's old basement apartments with bad weather stripping, I was looking forward to an autumn free from arachnoparanoia (scanning the the ceiling and corners, shaking out my shoes before putting them on, lifting piles of laundry with caution -- i.e., CONSTANT VIGILANCE). Sure, I figured a vile little eight-legged beast might put in an occasional appearance, but after six years of Idaho's monster hobos and catfaces, I didn't think tame, temperate, jolly old England would have anything I couldn't handle.

Au contraire. From day one, we were shocked by the number of thick, sticky, placemat-sized webs we saw stretched in shrubs, under trees, on street signs, inside phone booths, behind park benches... we were surrounded. These "garden spiders" are fat (about quarter-sized) and hideous, but fortunately they have that awkward, stripey look that makes them tolerable -- from a safe distance.




Our first day on campus, we spotted the mangled corpse of what appeared to be a small rodent in the middle of a busy sidewalk. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be what is known as a "wolf spider," so named for its propensity to scavenge dead mice and birds, and for their preference of stalking and attacking prey over web-building. Grateful though I am to know that they will, in fact, die if stepped on, Kathleen raised good points: Why would a spider presume to stroll down a human sidewalk as if he owned it? And what prey would such a predatory animal be hunting on said sidewalk? Perhaps we're better off not knowing.


And then there was the still-unidentified black spider behind the rubbish bin. I spotted it winding a fly in its lugubrious coils, and couldn't help but watch for a few seconds in mute horror. The thing was twice the size of a hobo, jet black, with shiny, muscular limbs. I won't even try to find a photo of it online. As Kathleen said, it's just plain wrong when spiders have biceps.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh! Ugh!Ughhdghhghgh!!!

    I can't stop shuddering! Yuck! Ugh! I HATE EM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *shudder* This is why you have a flat mate named Sarah (Swera) she is an excellent spidey shmasher. I have utilized her services many times. I am sorry for your pre-historic british-arachnids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only post you have written thus far that makes me grateful for Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yuck! we had some big ones in our windows this summer, but andrew killed them when washing the windows. he said they had a good squishing sound to them. i bet they did, they were HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell me there is someone willing to destroy the ones that get too close to you. I don't want to fear for your life, especially in a place as dapper as England! Keep a sturdy shoe near you at all times!

    ReplyDelete